June 25, 2012

All the Colors of the Rainbow

On a boring summer day, it seemed like a good idea.
How is it possible that everyone looks forward to summer with such excitement, and then ends up doing nothing but sitting on the couch watching reruns of White Collar? 
Probably becaues Niel Cafferey is so freaking hot. But that's another story.

I felt the need to be artsty fartsy, and do something fun with my sister, so here is the how-to on making a summer day more....... colorful.


1. A large canvas board (We used a 20x20)
2. A hair dryer
3. Hot glue gun and glue sticks
4. Crayons (we used 2 boxes)
5. A spray bottle





1. Choose your crayon color/order/theme. I've seen it done to make it look like a garden - I choose just the typical rainbow order because it costs more to buy soo many boxes of crayons to get the kind you want. I'm cheap.
2. Hot glue the crayons to the board, you can take the wrappers off or leave them on, Quincy and I decided to leave them on. It adds character.
3. Spray the crayons liberally with water, and let them sit in the heat for about a minute or two. We were impatient to start, so we didn't let them sit there very long.
4. Blow dry the crayons until you decide you like it the way it is. I was tempted to stop when this picture was taken, I liked the way it looked with the dripping crayings and the thin lines of color running and splashing everywhere. You can stop whenever you want! Creative liscence baby.



>>notice the spacing between the crayons? It started off as an accident, an attempt to get all the crayons on the board then realizing i had enough room. But then I quite liked the effect - the colors that are pushed closer together have more of a layered and rugged texture then the ones spaced apart.



I liked the texture of the falling colors, so I tried to keep it as textured as possible by moving the hair dryer around and waiting for the textured spot to dry and harden a little bit before I melted anymore of that color. It created a cool layering effect that I'm a fan of.

Link below to your artwork! I love looking at creative DIYs!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.