June 11, 2012

We talked the whole night through

Do you ever do that? Talk the whole night through?
It's the kind of thing that can't be forced. It just kind of has to happen. But it's so wonderful when it does! There's something about staying up with someone all night and just, talking.
Me and my mom did that last night;
I had come home a little later than usual on a Sunday night, after we said prayers together as a family and my siblings went off to bed, me and my mom just sat on her bed and talked for about 2 hours straight. At first we talked about my brother, then me, then school, then dad, then my other brother, then my friends, then euphimisms (or maybe not? We couldn't decide if they were euphimisms or not...), then people we'd met that day, then boys, then Pride and Prejudice, then Jane Austen, then college, then something else - until finally my mom almost fell asleep and I had to go to bed before I dropped dead. 
It reminded me of one night last summer where we stayed up together until about 2 in the morning watching Pride and Prejudice. We had watched the good version (with Colin Firth) and then the bad version (with Keira Knightley). And this is what we decided - the Colin Firth version is better because of the historical accuracy, length, how close it is to the book, and acting. The Keira Knightley version is better when it comes to filmogrophy, music, art, etc. But when it came to the historical accuracy and the acting? EEWWW. It was gross. SERIOUSLY.
When we were reading Pride and Prejudice in my English class, we had to give presentations on different topics relating to the Regency era in general. My partner and I talked about food, one group talked about fashion. And the only reason this irked me so much was because I'm a Jane Austen snob (ask my mother, she made fun of me last night for a good 10 minutes), and that I probably knew more than anyone in that room about the Regency period (hence the snob part). But they talked about bustles. BUSTLES. Ok, let me tell you, THERE WERE NO BUSTLES IN THE REGENCY ERA. NONE. ZIPPO. NADA. It made me so mad. sigh.
When we were talking about high school and senior year, my mom told me to just do EVERYTHING. literally everything. Be a part of as many clubs as I can, do as many sports as I can, go to every activity that I can, because it's depressing to look back with regret and say - I wish I had done that. I thought that was good advice, very "mom" advice, but good advice. It's just that I'm scared, you know? As a senior it's hard to try out for a sport, because it's almost garunteed you're not gonna get in. They basically already know who will be in different sports teams next year based on who played the last year. But I think I'll try - maybe I'll e-mail the coaches and just see if I can do anything to be on the team. Because I don't want this year to be sitting around doing nothing. The last 3 years I have hardly done anything, because I always told myself I was too busy with school and theatre. And this year I'll have work as well! But I think I can do it. If it's popsicle it's possible!

Moral of the story: I really love talking with my mom.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the simple pleasures are the best and....I also love chatting with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is one of my go-to people...we are pretty lucky to have her!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.