November 13, 2011

The Power of Resisting Attack

Strength
1. the quality or state of being strong; capacity for exertion or endurance
2. power to resist force
3. power of resisting attack

Dad
1. paternal protector or provider
2. a man of strength

Do you really need any other explanation? A dad is strength. It's just what he is. All fathers posses a special power in them, it's the power that makes their daughters love them. 
The power to love, to work, to live, to play, to be. 
It's their strength.

My dad is the strongest person I know. 
He bounces back. He moves on. He learns from all his past experiences. My dad's a hero.

At four years old - I was convinced my dad could pick up a truck. You couldn't tell me otherwise. I just always knew that if he needed to - he'd pick up a truck. 
I was also convinced that my dad was the tallest person in the world. At 6 foot 6 inches - he probably still is. But being so small and little, it was comforting to have my dad around. A big guy to help with the big problems. I remember looking up at him and thinking he was a giant, like in Jack and the Beanstalk - only, he was the good kind of giant. 
The one that held your hand across the street, that put you on his shoulders and made you feel like the biggest most important thing in the world. The one that swung you around and around and around until you felt so dizzy you fell over, but you'd still ask him to do it again! The one that was good at tickle fights and pranking.
When he would come home, he would make a lot of noise so that we knew he was there, and we'd run and hide. Then as he opened the door he'd yell "FE FI FO FUM! I SMELL THE BLOOD OF A LITTLE ONE! BE HE ALIVE OR BE HE DEAD, I'LL GRIND HIS BONES TO MAKE MY BREAD!"
Then commenced the hiding and tickling of the night, before he tucked us into bed with a story and a kiss. 
That's my dad.
My dad is strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.