June 12, 2013

Tornado Warnings and Summer Storms

If anyone out there ever watches the news, you might have caught sight of the weather broadcastings. Then again maybe not. But if you did, you may have seen a very angry looking red covering the midwest region? Yeah. That's me. *waves hello*



Today was uneventful until after work, with the sun occasionally peaking out at us through the clouds. Unfortunately said clouds were not happy pretty summer clouds that are white and fluffy and make funny shapes that may or may not be construed as different animals, these were dark black surly clouds that threaten with their ominous presence.

It got worse as mom and I began to make dinner, thunder rumbled and the occasional lightning strike lit up the blackened sky, but this had happened before. Just a storm. No big deal.

So I went off to pick my grandma up from the nail salon, and on my way out of the parking lot my mom calls me sounding a little frantic, which is very strange for to be - she's normally this really cool, level headed person and very in control. So that worried me off the bat. She said that the tornado sirens by our house had just gone off and she wanted us to stay in the store for a little while - weeeelll too late for that. But I was only about 10 minutes away from home with the commuters traffic so I could just hurry home right? Let me tell you I have never been so scared for my life as I was driving home. It wasn't even really the other cars, it was the pelting rain. It hit the car like bullets - with the occasional golf ball sized hail thrown in the mix. I was literally leaning with my chin over the steering wheel trying to see through the rain and onto the road. 

You know how sometimes you see lightning and then a huge clap of thunder follows a little while later? Yeah no. That didn't happen. The thunder and lightning came at the same time - one illuminating the sky and causing momentary blindness, the other making the car, and therefore my whole body, shake and rumble with it. It was the scariest thing of my life. I just kept on praying, "Heavenly Father please let me get home in one peace, please don't let lightning hit this car, please please pleeeaaaaaaase."
Thank heavens it worked.

And then, finally, the rain calmed and the lightning moved and the thunder wasn't so shocking anymore. Also thankfully, none of my family was killed in the making of that storm.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.