January 31, 2012

Cherry Pie Cupcakes

It has been too long my friends! I have been having a hectic week - school on top of Tech Week for the play (Sense and Sensibility) has cursed me with basically no time. For those of you who don't know, tech week is the week before you perform the show, where all of the technical aspects such as lights, music, curtains, and even costume, makeup, and hair are thrown in. 
I managed to steal a few moments for myself to write this blog post - I hope you find it delicious ;)


My sister has become obsessed with cupcakes.
She's always been obsessed with baking in general, she even started her own pie store (and made about $100! She's 9!) - but cupcakes has become her new passion.


And let's be honest, her latest creations are so delicious that I ate about 8 of them. 

Here's how;
1. She used a yellow cake recipe for the actual cupcake. You don't need to make the cake from scratch, a Betty Crocker cake mix will do just fine.

2. She made a Buttercream frosting;
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
(obviously unhealthy, but so delicious it doesn't really matter)
Mix all ingredients until creamy. Makes enough frosting for aprox 18 cupcakes.
you will need to make a double batch in order to have enough frosting!

3. Once the cupcakes are all frosted, put the remainder of the frosting into a pastry bag

4. Open up a can of cherry pie filling (this is where it gets messy) - and cut each cherry in half! (This took a lot of work)

5. Place cherries on top of the cupcakes, they should stick to the frosting underneath

6. This is where the rest of the frosting comes in. Use a number 47 tip to create the criss crossing lines on top of the cherries. When all of the cupcakes are covered, switch the nozzle to a number 103 to create the "crust" of your cherry pie. 

7. Eat or give away as the mood strikes you






Be warned however, these cupcakes are extremely delicious, and not very healthy. So don't blame me if you get fat from eating them.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.