February 4, 2012

It's going to be pink.

Guess who broke her wrist today!!?
oh, me. 

blehck.

I have never broken a bone in my body, and suddenly I brake my wrist. I'd like to say I broke it doing something graceful and elegant, like... actually I don't think it's possible to fall while looking graceful and elegant. 
Trust me I've tried.
the story:
We were going on a church activity, ice skating! There were 6 boys, and 6 girls (including myself). We left around 12:30 for the city - and everything was great. The sun was shinning, it was a perfect cool outside, and everyone was in happy spirits. 
Once we arrived at the ice rink, we all took several minutes finding the right sized skates (we all know how it is. One size is too big, the other too small, do you want big skates or little ones? blah blabla blabla). Once we all had our skates on, it was a new adventure - getting ourselves to the rink while maintaining our balance. 
Oh crap.
Soon we had all made it safely to the ice. Or so we thought? No, we definitely made it safely.
No sooner had we stepped onto the ice, when Jackson stole someones hat and a malicious game of keep away ensued (ok, malicious is a bit of a stretch). We were all skating amuck, stealing hats left and right! Oh the cruelty! No shame!
We all had some lessons on staying balanced (gravity schooled me more than once. I have the bruises to prove it). And I even learned how to skate backwards!... sort of...
Then came the fatal moment.
I had taken my camera out to take some pictures, when Nathaniel asked "whats the best way to stop quickly?"
Being the pro I am, I began to show him how to come to a side stop. Same basic move as skiing. The ice was thick with grooves from previous skaters - as I pulled my skates around to stop myself, the edge of my right skate caught on a groove and stuck.
No thoughts, just silence in my brain as my feet tried to regain balance. But what balance could I regain with the slick ice underneath two scanty blades strapped to my feet? The answer: none. My feet flew up and down as I tried to stand, my hands splayed behind me as I fell backwards, my left hand came down hard on the ice and the pain was real. The real kind of pain that bites you at first, then you almost forget about it as you fall, but comes back like a snake up your arm when you sit up. My head on the ground, I saw my camera slide around and land a foot away from me on the ice. And then I remembered the pain. Holycrapithurtsobad. 
I sat up and clutched my arm as my friends began to huddle around me saying comforting things like, "are you all right?" "does it hurt really bad?" "can you get up?" "do you need help?"
"No. no. I'm fine, just gimme a minute to compose myself. I just need a minute."
I'm not gonna cry. I'm not gonna cry. It doesn't hurt that bad. It'll be fine. Pain will go away. I can get up. Just gimme a sec.
Oh crap, it's not going away. It still hurts. I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry. I am not a wimp. I am not a wimp. I am not a wimp. 
I found the strength to stand up on my own. No one was gonna treat me like the poor little injured girl. But standing up hurt my wrist more than it should have.
We went into the building and the guy at the counter gave me an ice pack. I sat on one of the benches, my jeans were wet and sticking to my skin.
I will not cry, I will not cry.
No matter how I tried to stop it, hot tears dropped onto my glasses as I bent over to hide my face.
I always thought people described tears as "hot" in books because it sounded cooler - but my face was so cold my tears actually felt hot.
Kristen sat down next to me and I leaned on her shoulder. That's what best friends are for.
Then people started saying, "we'll take you home" "it's ok, you're gonna go home."
Wait what? no no no no no, I'm fine, I can still skate. It just hurts, I'll be fine. But there was no way to avoid it, I was huddled into a car, my wrist hurt with every step. Gravity pulled it down in a painful way. Oh yeah, it was broken.

We got home and my mom sped to the after hours clinic, we missed the X-ray by 5 minutes - but the doctor looked at it and said with certainty that it was probably most likely broken. (confusing signals much?)
But we have to wait for the X-ray on monday to confirm it. If it is broken, my cast is going to be pink. No matter what. Its going to be pink.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.