July 2, 2013

Summer Reading

Every year when Summer rolls around, new booklists start popping up. I don't know what it is about summer - maybe the bliss of cool afternoons, or the blazing sun in the daytime - that makes us suddenly remember our brains are in our heads and we can read words with it! Imagine that! So we dust off our library cards and head for the local library, or book shop, and buy just about 20 books that sit on your night stand for basically the rest of the summer. Sound about right? 
Well. I'll admit it right here right now, I am no exception to this rule. Although, I am trying to conserve my money for college in the fall, so I tend to spend most of my free summer time (aka when I'm not working either of my two jobs) at the library. Gosh darn it, I love my library! It's the perfect indoor temperature, and has these big windows that you can stare out of and see the tops of the trees swaying in the hot summer breeze. Just thinking about it right now makes me giddy, it's my favorite place in the world! And recently, because of my data-entry job, I've been checking out tons upon tons of books on tape to listen to while I sit at a computer 8 hours a day. 



The Gemma Doyle series, by Libba Bray (historical fiction/fantasy) - I have to tell you first that I absolutely hate every character in this series, and yet this is one of my favorite series to read. And I'm sure that if you're part of any kind of fandom, you understand something of whaT I mean by that. Honestly though, Felicity is a witch, Pippa is a brat, Anne is a complainer, and Gemma just annoys the heck out of me. I suppose the only person I actually like is Kartik, because he's a sexy beast in my head - I picture him as a kind of hot Indian Aladdin. Just do me a favor and read these books. READ THEM. Although I did like listening to them (the narrators do a very good job of making the story and details interesting, and admittedly I understood a lot more of the plot and magical elements of the book after listening to it), I really prefer to read books and turn the pages with my own two hands. 






The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare (historical fiction/fantasy) - These books will ruin your life. Hands down. I can absolutely 100% promise you, that you will go topsy from these books. Quickly some background; as you may have heard, one of Cassandra Clare's books is about to become a major motion picture (City of Bones) in August (watch trailer here). That movie is part of a larger series called The Mortal Instruments, this is the Infernal Devices series - kind of like a prequel series. It takes place in Victorian London, and even includes some of the same characters as Mortal Instruments (Magnus Bane *squeals*). If you've already read Mortal Instruments, you will love this as well. With these books I'd say read them if you have the time, but if like me you can only get your lit. fix by listening to them, that's a brilliant option as well. Part of the Clockwork Prince is voiced by Ed Westwick of Gossip Girl! He makes me melt. Let's just look at him for a while:





The Summer We Read Gatsby by Danielle Ganek - Ok this is one of those books that has been sitting on my night stand, and I will get around to reading it when this data entry job ends! But in the meantime, read it and tell me how you like it! I mean, the title kind of speaks for itself don't you think?


The Diviners by Libba Bray - Another Bray novel (I just really like the way she writes), again this is another book I picked off the library shelf but haven't had the time to read yet. But if it's Libba Bray I'm game to give it a shot!

So far these are the only books on my Summer Reading List (besides Harry Potter of course, I re-read Harry every summer. It's basically a tradition). So if you have anymore recommendations please leave a comment below!

Deuces

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.