July 5, 2013

The King's Speech

Netflix has been updated! Every time Netflix comes out with new movies and seasons to tv shows I love, I do a little girl dance in my living room out of pure glee. And this time I think I did a full on salsa because I saw the The King's Speech was on there! 
I have literally been dying to see this movie for ages. Like I've mention, I don't do rated R. It's just not for me, too shady. But I heard that the only reason The King's Speech was R was because he drops the F-bomb a few times, plus some other profanities. So really no different from real life. I had been scouring the library, red box, and my friends houses with the chance that I might find this movie, watch it, and be satisfied that I can check it off my bucket list. Well now I can (and you can TOO)! Because wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, The King's Speech is on Netflix! Girlish squeals of excitement are erupting from my mouth!
I can say with definitive authority, that this movie was amazing. Colin Firth is an absolute genius of a man. I've always loved him, from Pride and Prejudice to What A Girl Wants, he's been my favorite. But this just cements it into my heart that he is a pure magician. He literally transformed himself into King George VI. It's like he was George (or is George? I dunno, I hate verb tenses anyways). 



The movie follows the life of King George VI - who was never really supposed to be the King. As the second son of King George V, he was never expected to inherit the throne, and only did so when his older brother Edward abdicated his right to the crown in order to marry a divorced American socialite, Wallis Simpson. (Quickly I'll explain - the British don't look kindly upon their King marrying an American nobody, especially a divorced American nobody). Now you may be thinking this is all very fine and dandy, King George VI becomes King, whoop-de-do. But! There is a problem. George (first name Albert, known as Bertie to family), has a stutter. And rather a bad one at that.


This is where the genius of Colin Firth comes in, Colin is an amazing actor regardless, but his abilities in this film were just mesmerizing. Bertie grew up with the stutter, was teased for it, made fun of for it, and endured a lot of hardship because he wasn't able to speak in public. He was considered an embarrassment to a lot of people - and Colin portrayed all of that hurt and even guilt I believe, of King George into his portrayal of him. The stammer was also amazing and heart-renchingly sad. Really, when you think about it, it's hard to stutter on purpose. Colin made it seem a real struggle for Bertie to talk in front of people, you could see his throat basically constricting and tightening as he tried to form his words. Every time Bertie tried to talk and it became too difficult for him, and often emotional, my throat would literally constrict as he was talking. I just naturally reacted to it, and it's a little difficult to explain, but really I guess you just have to see it for yourself. 





So much of this movie consists of amazing imagery as well, I loved the cinematography of it. And tried to capture a few scenes that were the most interesting, from a visual point of view, and an audience point of view. 



Another of my favorite elements was that the movie focuses on the relationship between Bertie and his speech therapist, Lionel Logue. I love those movies that show you how one person can help change the course of history, or effect another person's life so much that it changes who they are. The King's Speech is really all about how Lionel and Bertie become friends, and bolster each other up in their trials. It sends shivers down my spine because of how inspiring it is.














I also have to really respect Colin Firth for taking on this role. Being a British actor, portraying a British King (and the father of the current Queen, Elizabeth II), must have been daunting. But Colin, you were certainly up to the task.

The King's Speech won 4 Academy Awards, plus 86 other awards, and 103 nominations.

Deuces


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.