July 29, 2013

Summer Reading Updates

Remember that post I did, once upon a time, that had to do with my summer reading list? Yes, no, maybe so? Well link here to the post. But the point is, I finished it! Here are my critiques of said books;


The Summer We Read Gatsby, by Danielle Ganek - I really did love this book. It's very different from what I had in mind though. You know how you sometimes read the title of the book, and then assume things about the plot/characters of the book? Well the title of this book, for me, evoked ideas of a tragic summer romance, possibly set in the 40's? That is VERY far from the truth however, so reading it was kind of a shock. But only because it was so different than what I was expecting. The plot goes something like this; two sisters spend the summer at their dead aunt's house in the Hampton's  and stumble on several strange adventures.
That's it. The end. Done. Part of me was really disappointed that there wasn't something more substantial to the plot. It seemed a little slow-paced and detached, however that also gave it the feel of being a very summery kind of book to read. Because generally that's how I feel during the summer; slow and slightly detached from real life.
The genre, I believe, is technically romance (or at least that's what the cover art lead me to believe), but mainly I think it's a book about sisterhood. There is a lot of time spent exploring the two main sister characters, Cassie and Peck, and their relationship. 
It was a good summer book because there was that element of romance, a lot of sister-sister interaction, some strange adventures, and an unexpected ending. I would say give it a try if you're list isn't already too full!


The Diviners, by Libba Bray - Sweet mother of pearl I loved this book. It's set in the 20s, and the story revolves around a cast of characters who have special powers, who we slowly come to recognize as "diviners." A lot of the book is very dark, like, very very very dark. This is not for those of weak constitutions. The antagonist scared me out of my wits, and at that moment I was really glad I have a room mate so I'm not downstairs in my basement room all alone. 
I don't want to give away too much information, so let me just touch on some details; Number One) The more you read, the more you understand. At the beginning I almost felt like I had stumbled upon the second book in a series, and not the first. But I promise this is the first in *hopefully* a new series by Libba Bray. So don't feel confused or wary when things are happening that don't make sense to you, because they will. Eventually.
Number Two) Do not read this book at night. Just don't. Please take my advice on this one, because it can be a seriously scary book. Personally, I preferred the very sunny, crowded, and chaotic pool at the middle of the day. Partly because I could tan and read at the same time, and partly because the noise of the pool helped distract me from getting too into the book and potentially dying of fright.
Number Three) Don't let the things I'm saying about how scary it is prevent you from reading it! Honestly I tend to exaggerate, because I'm just a naturally dramatic person. And I'm playing up the scariness level for you, so that when you read it you're like, "oh it's not that bad! I can handle this!"
Number Four) After you read it, I can promise you that you will have an overwhelming urge to start saying things like, 
"the chin wiggle is..." 
"and how!"
"ab-so-lute-ly!"
"That's the cat's pajamas!"
"copacetic"
and "cash or check?"
Because I did. 
Overall it's definitely a must read for your summer lists! Especially if you love adventure, romance, and a little bit of the supernatural.

That about sums it up I think! Currently I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas. I used to watch the movie all the time with my grandpa, he's totally into that kind of thing. And with all the swashbuckling romance, how could I resist a blast from the past kind of book? I'll let you know how it is as soon as I'm done reading it!

Deuces

1 comment:

  1. Hey Madison! I had the dress made for me, I went to Mood fabrics in LA and got some Oscar de la Renta fabric and then took it to a lady so she could make me the dress!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.