December 29, 2011

Sherlock Holmes -- a game of shadows

Overall, I was pleased with this movie.
Pleased. Not overjoyed/ecstactic/amazed.

I think we can all agree that the first Sherlock Holmes was brilliant. Visually amazing, beautifully casted and acted, and the entire plot was one twisty turn after another. 
This plot however, wasn't all that I had hoped it would be.
!!????
My main question would be; what happened?
This movie was one of those that you really have to think and follow along with the story, because every detail is important. 
I'm still not sure how the gypsy brother became involved. 


Well, let's start with..


likes
1. The imaging was amazing, such a beautiful movie
2. Robert Downing Jr. (<3)
3. Jude Law (<3 <3)
4. I loved the costuming, it was perfect for the time period (1890s), and characterized Holmes, Watson, and the Madame Simz very well. 
5. I really can't say enough about how beautiful this movie was. Not only the cinematography, but the scenery and the costumes, and the special effects. b e a u t i f u l
6. Special effects! Especially during the scene where they were running away from the industrial weapons factory in Germany. The way it was filmed and slowed in the movie made it so intense and dramatic that I absolutely loved it!
7. Oh definitely the acting. As always Robert Downing Jr played the part to perfection, Holmes is absolutely my favorite character. Jude Law did a fantastic job as well, there really is no describing how incredible I think that man is.


dislikes
1. The plot. I understood what was happening (sort of) at the end, but really - I'm still very confused. Lemme lay it out for ya
spoiler alert!
The professor (Moriarty) is a bad guy (duh). Holmes has this theory that all of these bombings and industry tycoons deaths are connected through Moriarty. The entire movie is their quest to prove it and take him down. So Holmes challenges Moriarty, so the evil professor retaliates by trying to kill Watson and his new bride on the way to Brighton for their honeymoon. Of course they get away, and Holmes and Watson start off for France to find the Gypsy. Whose brother is crucial to defeating Moriarty. I didn't really catch how... They find the gypsy (madame simz), and then head to Paris to find her brother - who was at one point involved in the anarchist movement of the time. They find the anarchist headquarters, only to find no brother. But Holmes uncovers information leading to a bomb plot which he believes is in the Opera house. Only its not, it's at a hotel where a "peace treaty" of sorts is being discussed. 
That's as far as I'll go, because the plot becomes easier to follow from there. 
2. There were too many loose ends spoiler alert! Like when that girl died? (whats her name? The one Holmes loved?)
There wasn't a definite ending. I thought she was going to come back and I was very disappointed that she didn't.
3. Oh, one more thing about the plot. The very ending wasn't up to snuff. I won't spill the beans! But I didn't like how it happened. To abrupt.


There you have it folks! Sherlock Holmes, a game of shadows. Not-so-neatly wrapped in a box with a funky bow on the top. But it's a basic review nonetheless.


I hope you liked the movie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! But if you're mean I'll set my blast-ended skrewts on you. You have been warned.